When we think of workplace injuries, the image that usually comes to mind is factory workers who operate heavy machinery or construction workers who do their work on scaffolding. However, industrial jobs aren't the only ones that come with a risk of injury. Sitting at a desk in an office all day comes with its own set of risks, including wrist pain, knee issues and all the problems that a lack of proper circulation can bring.
If you're seated at a computer all day, here are a few things you can do to maintain your health and avoid common injuries:
- Keep water within reach at all times. Drink throughout the day to stay hydrated and maintain joint health.
- Get up frequently. Go visit a friend's cubicle, do a little stretching or just walk around for a moment or two every hour.
- Keep moving. Even when you're stuck at your desk, you can kick your legs out, move your arms and stretch.
- Exercise. When you're away from the office, make sure you're devoting some part of your time to vigorous exercise, whether it's running, biking or hitting the gym.
- Office yoga. Do a google search for office yoga and check out some of the stretches and poses you can do right at your desk.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Make sure your work attire is appropriate, but also ensure that it allows you freedom of movement and isn't too restrictive.
Even with these tips, sitting at a desk all day can lead to a wide range of health problems. If you feel like you've developed an on-the-job injury, you may want to speak with an attorney, who might be able to help you get the compensation you need.
Source: itechpost.com, "Top 10 Ways To Avoid Joint And Wrist Pain At Work," Dante, Noe Raquel II, January 8, 2017