Kevin S. Botha
Kevin S. Botha graduated from The Rand Afrikaans University in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1994 with a bachelors degree in sports management and an honors degree in sports management and exercise physiology in 1995. He received his Juris Doctor from the John Marshall Law School in 2006 and was admitted to the Illinois State Bar and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois the same year.
Kevin has experience in the insurance industry and workers' compensation since 1995. He began his career n the insurance industry in underwriting in 1995. He moved into worker's compensation claims management from 1999 until 2006 for various insurance companies and third party administrators. As a claims adjuster then claims manager, he managed insurance programs and claims that included hundreds of millions of dollars in worker's compensation claims, such as catastrophic losses and complex litigation involving worker's compensation and employer's liability. He has a unique perspective into the handling of a worker's compensation case. Since 2006, his practice is exclusive in representing the injured worker. He has successfully tried numerous cases before the Illinois Worker's Compensation Commission to secure his clients rights under the Worker's Compensation Act.
He is a current member of the board of directors of the Worker's Compensation Lawyers Association and a member of the Illinois State Bar Association (Worker's Compensation Law Section), the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, The Lake County Bar Association and the Chicago Bar Association.
Kevin has lectured the current Illinois Arbitrators and Commissioners on Illinois case law during the 2011 Illinois Worker's Compensation Commission judicial training, and he has published several articles on various worker's compensation issues, including: 'Petitioner's non-compliance with Vocation Rehabilitation insufficient to deny compensation," ISBA Worker's Compensation Law Newsletter, December, 2006; "Respondents Must Meet Their Obligation in Vocational Rehabilitation," ISBA Worker's Compensation Law Newsletter, March 2007; "The elusiveness of the Intoxication defense," ISBA Worker's Compensation Law Newsletter, June 2007; "A rare reversal & remand of a manifest weight issue under the Odd-Lot permanent disability theory," ISBA Worker's Compensation Law Newsletter, June 2007; and "The Commission Giveth and the Appellate Court Taketh," ISBA Worker's Compensation Law Newsletter, June 2008.
Areas Of Practice
- Workers' Compensation
- Work Related and other Injuries
- Illinois, 2006
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2006
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2006
- Rand Afrikaans University (University of Johannesburg), Johannesburg
- B.A. - 1995
- Honors: Honors Degree in Sports Management and Exercise Physiology
- Major: Sports Management and Exercise Physiology
- "Petitioner's Non-Compliance with Vocation Rehabilitation Insufficient to Deny Compensation", ISBA Worker's Compensation Law Newsletter, December, 2006
- "Respondents Must Meet Their Obligations in Vocational Rehabilitation", ISBA Worker’s Compensation Law Newsletter, March, 2007
- "The Elusiveness of the Intoxication Defense", ISBA Worker’s Compensation Law Newsletter, June, 2007
- "A Rare Reversal & Remand of a Manifest Weight Issue Under the Odd-Lot Permanent Disability Theory", ISBA Worker’s Compensation Law Newsletter, June, 2007
- The Commission Giveth and the Appellate Court Taketh, ISBA Worker's Compensation Law Newsletter, June, 2008
- Lecturer, Illinois Arbitrators and Commissioners on Illinois, Illinois Worker's Compensation Commission Judicial Training, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, Present
- ISBA, Worker’s Compensation Law Section Council
- Worker’s Compensation Lawyers Association, Member, Director, Present
- Lake County Bar Association, Member, Present
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, Present
- Illinois State Worker's Compensation Program Advisory Board, 09/2011 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Richard D. Hannigan, Ltd., 2006 to 2007
- Martin Boyer Co., Cambridge, Gallagher Bassett, GE ERC, Swiss Re, Claims Adjuster, Claims Manager, 1999 to 2006