Carbon monoxide poisoning is a risk that has received more attention in recent years. Thankfully, many people in Illinois have purchased carbon monoxide detectors to ensure that their family is kept safe from the deadly gas. Unfortunately, a recent out-of-state workplace accident has demonstrated the potential dangers of the gas after a man is suspected of having died as a result of coming into contact with it.

The man was reportedly working in an underground chamber at a fish hatchery in late July when the incident happened. Rescue workers responded to a report of an unconscious man at approximately 4 p.m. It is believed that he had been using a pump, requiring gas, just prior to his collapse.

The identity of the Texas Parks and Wildlife employee has not been released at this time. Officials are still investigating the death of the man, likely in an attempt to determine the exact cause. Often when there is a workplace fatality such as this, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration will conduct an investigation to determine if any standards were violated that may have contributed to the accident.

As a result of this workplace accident, a family is now facing life without one of their loved ones. In many cases such as this, families are also left to cope with the financial burdens of an unexpected death, including lost wages and funeral expenses. Although employers in Illinois are required to pay for workers’ compensation insurance coverage in the event of such an injury or fatality (benefits that generally extend to family members in the event of a fatality), most people want to ensure that they receive the full compensation to which they are entitled in a timely manner.

Source: statesman.com, “Man dead in possible industrial accident in San Marcos”, Philip Jankowski, July 29, 2014